Do you know what skills you need to get the job you want? Do you know where to get those skills and qualifications, and how much they'll cost you? There are a few websites that can help you make informed decisions about your career and education, and to plan for your future. We've made a list so you don't have to go searching. Plus we've got you covered with some bonus tips.
Job Outlook is a great place to start doing your research. It can help you make choices about the direction you take in your career. Any job you can think of is listed on the site. There’s a career quiz, and information about the job market now and into the future. You can find links to job vacancies and courses, too. Here’s a couple of job examples from Job Outlook:
Labour Market Information Portal (LMIP)
If you want to get into the nitty gritty data about the job market in Australia, visit the LMIP. You can get job and employment related information based on where you live, the job you want and the skill level you have. The LMIP team also talks to employers about what they are looking for in a worker. This information can help you tailor your resume, get prepared for interviews and apply for jobs that are right for you.
If you need Certificate to Diploma level qualifications to build the skills you need to get the job you want, head to My Skills. There you can:
- find Vocational Education and Training (VET) providers anywhere in Australia
- search through more than 6,000 courses to find the right one for you
- get information about average course fees and duration and find out if subsidies are available
- see how many people get jobs or continue studying at the end of finishing a course
You can also get advice about training and education based on where you are at in your career.
Australian Apprenticeships Pathways
Australian Apprenticeships Pathways has all the information you need to figure out if an apprenticeship is the right career path for you. You can search for apprenticeship ideas based on the kind of work environment you want, careers that match your personality type or the job type you are interested in. Job Pathway Charts show you how you can build your qualifications to progress through a career.
The Study in Australia website lets you search for a universities based on location around Australia, and get links to uni websites to find out more details.
Bonus tips to get the skills you need to get the job you want
- Bullseye Career Information is pretty nifty if you're still at high school or just about to finish. You can see what kind of jobs you could get based on the subjects you did or liked during school.
- Are you under 25 and get a Centrelink payment? You might qualify for Employability Skills Training through a PaTH internship. It’s a great opportunity to get the exact skills an employer is looking for and boost your chances of getting a job. Talk to your provider to find out more.
- If you are going to study, check there is a work experience or work integrated learning component to your course. That way you will have some practical experience to back up your theoretical knowledge. It’s really important to employers.
Once you have the skills you need to get the job you want, head over to the jobactive website and start your job search!
Images: Department of Education, Skills and Employment, giphy
Author: Melissa @ jobactive