What is LinkedIn?
LinkedIn has been around for 18 years, and has grown to be the largest professional online networking site. LinkedIn has over 660 million users from people just starting out in their careers to those with established careers. LinkedIn lets you connect with professional networks and personal contacts. It’s like other social networking sites but with the purpose of building your professional contact list. You can choose a basic free subscription or a premium paid subscription for different features. Recruiters and businesses also use LinkedIn to recruit potential employees and advertise job vacancies. If you’re not sure if you need a LinkedIn account, read on for our tips on how to use LinkedIn to get a job.
Why should I have a LinkedIn account?
Here’s our picks for the best ways to use LinkedIn to help you land a job:
Search and apply for jobs
Spreading your job search across different job boards increases your chances of getting a job. You will see different jobs advertised on different sites. LinkedIn has its own jobs board where you can search and apply for jobs directly through the site. Add this to your existing online job searches like jobactive and SEEK and you’ll find more opportunities and increase your chances.
Use LinkedIn to build your networks to find out about job opportunities, gain endorsements, or connect with people in your industry. Up to 80% of jobs aren’t advertised, so using your networks to find out about the hidden job market can give you an advantage in your job search. There are different ways to build your LinkedIn network by:
- Searching for people you already know using the search tool. For example, people you have worked or studied with.
- Exporting contacts from your email.
- Searching for special interest groups.
- Using your connections to introduce you to their connections.
- Searching for companies that you are interested in. For example, places you want to work.
- Searching for hashtags that are relevant to your area of work or interest.
Complement your written resume
Most job applications still require a traditional resume, but LinkedIn can be a great way to add to this. Your LinkedIn profile can host additional information that you can’t fit in your two-page resume plus you can list your LinkedIn URL on your resume. You can list your previous jobs, qualification, interests, volunteer work and accomplishments. While you can use your LinkedIn profile to apply for jobs, often recruiters will see your profile and reach out to you via the messaging function. By adjusting your settings, you can let recruiters know you’re open to job opportunities. This will increase your chances of finding out about jobs that might suit you.
You can improve your chances of being approached by:
- Adding relevant skills to the type of jobs you’re applying for.
- Writing a profile summary.
- Proofreading for typos and grammatical errors.
- Adding people to your network.
- Keeping your profile up-to-date with your latest skills and experience.
Images: iStock, LinkedIn.com